Wednesday 29 July 2015

Introducing Georgia Flanagan - Saltire Intern Social Media and Marketing Intern for the Investment Dept


Name Georgia Flanagan
Studying English Literature at St Andrews
Role Social Media and Marketing Intern for the Investment Dept.

What would you be doing with your summer if you weren’t here?

Well if I wasn’t working here, I’d probably be down South with my family enjoying the glorious weather they’re having! I would have gone to Wimbledon, which is without doubt my favourite sporting event, and would have tried to fit in a few holidays here and there!

So far what’s the biggest challenge you’ve faced in your internship?

The biggest challenge for me has been adapting to life in a big city I don’t know – I live in a small village in Surrey and go to university in St Andrews, which means I’m used to a much smaller scale of living. I have to say that I do love Edinburgh though, and I might be a bit of a convert – I still miss London but this is an amazing city to live in.

What have you most enjoyed?

I think I have most enjoyed the responsibility that the Investment team have placed on me. Some internships I have had previously have followed the line of the intern taking a back seat – making tea here and there and maybe being allowed to sit in on a few meetings. But at Grant Property, they have just given me tasks and projects to get on with, knowing and trusting that I will succeed and believing that my opinion is just as valuable. Whilst it is a lot of pressure it’s nice to be challenged and respected. And I love that.

As a new member of the Grant Property team what has impressed you most about the company since you started?

What has impressed me most is the team dynamic and the comradery involved in this company. 
Everyone has been so welcoming and so nice, its just been amazing. As a young intern, coming into a well established, professional investment department was very daunting, but everyone is so supportive of each other and so friendly, any nerves were dispelled almost immediately. It's something that makes this company very special.

What three top tips would you share with students thinking about applying for the Saltire Foundation next year?

1. Would just be DO IT! Its been such an amazing experience, and has led to a really amazing summer. I never even thought I would get past the application form stage, just because I didn’t really think my CV or experience was good enough to get me recognised. But here I am, and I would recommend it to anyone. Just do it, and enjoy the experience. It's once in a lifetime.

2. Would be MAKE THE MOST OF IT – you will meet some amazing, successful people, and this is the opportunity to pick their brains of all and any information or advice possible. These are the people who were us once, and now own companies and corporations. 

Network network network, as contacts are everything in business.

3. Don’t relax too much. It is definitely about learning, but you never know who is watching you, or where your fellow interns will be in 5/10 years. These could be your future employers or business partners, so remember to be at your best at all times – it will be worth it when that out of the blue job offer comes from someone who sat next to you on the Leadership Day!

You can find out more about the Saltire Foundation on Twitter, Facebook and on the website

Please Remember to follow us online. 

 
If you have found this post interesting please use the share buttons below to tell your on-line community, there's a good chance they will find it interesting too. Thank You.


No comments:

Post a Comment